21 March 2019

Climbed Out The Comfort Zone

Honestly, I’m surprised I can even type today's post. My arms are aching so much I’ve spent half the day just stroking them, telling them everything’s going to be alright. 


I went indoor climbing at Arch Climbing Wall in Bermondsey last night, with me Rooley. She’s been climbing for about 8 months and she’s bloody gangsta at it. I saw a video she posted on insta of her climbing and I wanted to give it try. Plus it was a good excuse for us to hang out. 

We got lost trying to find the place. We learnt yesterday that there are times that we both have the ability to be shit at reading maps. Seriously it would have been easier to have found Narnia. Thankfully we bumped into a lady who just happened to be going to the same place as us and managed to use the directions her friends had given her to get us there. There was a queue to get in when we arrived. Apparently this one is a very popular location. So I got registered, got changed, picked up my climbing shoes and off we went. Being the anxious Annie that I am, as much as I had been looking forward to trying this, I did wake up with an element of fear. With my luck with injuries, I was sure there was a higher chance of me plummeting to my death (I know, proper drama queen) When I voiced these concerns at work, everyone soothed my overzealous mind, by reminding me that I would be strapped into a harness, controlled by someone else, so I had nothing to worry about. That statement went a long way to putting my mind at rest. 

Fun fact, Arch climbing doesn't use harnesses. You just climb. Climb up. Climb down. Climb side to side. Even climb horizontally. So upon realising that I would be climbing up a wall, with the only person to rely on for not falling being myself, It occurred to me that I could either pull up a stool in the little cafe and read my book, whilst waiting for Rools, or I could strap on a pair and starting climbing. Thankfully it was the latter. To be fair, all of the floors are covered with crashmats. I managed 4 climbs before my body gave out. This shit takes its toll on you physically. It didn't help that the higher I climbed the more fear set in. However, it's a damn good workout and I have to say it does get you quite determined to get to the top each time you climb. By my 3rd climb I was gaining a little confidence and was starting to find my stride. By the time I had finished the muscles in my forearms were dead. Holding myself up on was about to become impossible. That was my cue to have a walk round and just watch other people. I have to say, some of the climbers, I saw amazed me. The body strength and the technique were impressive. 

I'm not sure I’ll be climbing as my regular workout, but I definitely want to give it another go and soon. I enjoyed it and would like to see, how I get on with less fear and more practice. Plus you just get talking to people, which makes it a social activity as well as a physical one. As far as trying something new goes, this experience gets a 👍🏾 from me. I had to bring my mouth down to my toothbrush rather than the normal bring my toothbrush up to my mouth this morning, because my arms a literally dead, but it was totally worth it. 

Have a great day, remember you are a unicorn and don't let anybody shit on your rainbow ❤️

2 comments:

  1. I've always been too scared to try this! It looks so liberating though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was scary and tiring but honestly so good. Definitely
      give it a try if you get a chance 😊

      Delete