19 March 2019

Tune of The Week

I have a new song in my life šŸ˜ I say have,  I didn't write or sing it. I simply purchased it from iTunes.


Yes, I’m aware that you can download or stream from Apple Music, but I like to buy my songs like I like to buy my DVDs. It’s just my thing. I actually bought 7. There is a clear favourite (this is made obvious by the fact that it's been on repeat for the last half hour). I do tend to do this with songs when I first buy them, hence the birth of the playlist Tune of The Week. I hear a song somewhere, soundhound that shit, buy it and move it to TOTW and it goes on repeat until I get bored of it and move onto another one. (Come to think of it, I’m pretty sure I apply that same practice to certain situations in life. There may be some deep seated psychological reason behind this, that I should probably look into)

Getting a new song is my little pick me up. I get as happy about a new song as shoe lovers get about a new pair Louboutins. Music is one of my happy places. FYI - Lying on a beach in Hawaii, in between Tom Hardy and Anthony Joshua, whilst drinking prosecco and eating a Waitrose Lemon Yum Yum is another one of my happy places. Music is a great way to shift my mood. An upbeat song can give me a little pep in my step when I need it. A sad song can help bring out some emotions I may be pushing down and not dealing with. A good hip hop or grime song can help me to channel my anger. I have been listening to Jazz playlists on YouTube whilst cooking recently and I love it. It's got me dancing around my kitchen whilst making butter bean spaghetti. I’d actually love to go and see some live Jazz at some point. That's one for the bucket list.

I’ve had a pretty good day today and this new edition to my music collection - Sweet but Psycho (Leon Lour Remix) by Ava Max has just complemented that. So thank you TOWIE. Yes my guilty little pleasure reality TV show is back and this time round these crazy cats are fake tanning and fucking all over Thailand. 

Speaking of reality tv, it's truly saddening to hear about the death of Mike Thalassitis. It has been said that he was suffering with depression and other mental health issues which led to his suicide. Now grantedly, I’ve never met the guy, so before anyone jumps on the whole “You didn’t even know him, why are you sad” bandwagon, it’s not about whether I knew him or not. Its about someone suffering with a condition,  that caused them so much emotional pain that they didn’t see any other way out. And yes there are so many other people in the world, that suffer in silence and feel they cannot reach out for help and more needs to be done about that. I have suffered with depression and anxiety for over 2 decades. And some of the most annoying things you can hear someone say are “Just snap out of it” or “Pull yourself together” Like if it were that easy we wouldn’t. What, you think we are just choosing to be lazy about it or staying in this crippling emotional state for shits and giggles? 

Fair play over the last few years, a brighter light has been shed on mental health issues. But there are still so many people out there to be reached. So many people that need to be reminded that there are people there to help. So many people to be reminded that its okay to tell others your feeling like this and thats its okay to ask for help. To many sufferers are staying silent for so many reasons. I stayed silent for years because I didn’t want to be perceived as weak or be judged. I was lucky enough to get to a point where I told my family and friends and they have built a great support system around me. It doesn’t mean I don’t suffer anymore, it just means I always have people I feel comfortable enough to turn to. Others are not so lucky and that’s heartbreaking. So if you take anything from today’s post, let it be, to be conscience of how you treat people. You never know what they are dealing with on the inside. One of the greatest gifts and in turn greatest curses depression sufferers have is the ability to slap a smile on and hide their pain from the world. So try to be a little more understanding and a little kinder to people. You never know what burdens they may be carrying. Don’t get me wrong, if someone’s just a genuine cunt, fuck em off. I’m not saying we need to let everyone just take the piss, because you don’t know their life story. I’m simply saying check in with friends and family more. Remind them every now and then, that your there for them and that you love them. Some of them might look at you, like you just lit up a crack pipe. But some of them......may have their day changed because of it.

So to anyone reading this post, who may be struggling, please do not suffer in silence. Whether you feel like it right now or not, you are amazing and you deserve to get out of that dark place and stand in the light. 

Have a great day, remember you are a unicorn, and don’t let anyone shit on your rainbow ❤



2 comments: